Friday, July 29, 2011

My Sister-Bride and a new Brother


we traveled to california last weekend
to witness the marriage covenant
between my sister emma and her beloved.

it is a privilege to look on as the first blush of love
steps into for-always.
oh my sister and brother...
it only gets sweeter.
i had the delight of being her shadow for two days
as she decorated
shopped for flowers


held my baby
painted my girlie's fingers and toes



and
took me to lunch on her wedding day.
over coffee and tea we talked and talked and talked without looking at a watch 
until we couldn't avoid being irresponsible any longer.

i got to wrap her bouquet in ribbon.
my eager children insist that she open their gifts... 
now.  before the ceremony.


i was present.  taking in all the moments.


i looked on as she peeked out the window 
watching guests arrive



and heard her squeal 
as she spied her man milling impatiently.


it was a sweet wedding.
the bride was innocent and lovely
the groom could hardly stand still!

outdoors on the lawn of our family home
some sat on chairs
some stood
a few perched on hay bales or reclined on quilts.


 
the flowers she held were from farmers market
her hair piece fashioned by a cousin.
they stood with no shoes
and in a symbolic act of servant hood
later washed each others feet.


it was not a show.
it was real
 and tiny nieces running away from their daddies 
didn't detract from solemn joy of the moment.

my other lovely sisters stood as honored witnesses


darling sister-in-love hannah and i chose to witness 
while sitting with our husbands amongst our combined indian tribe.


they were still though
and didn't need quieting.



my manly brothers.

.
and so the party commenced
and for-always was well on it's way!


my flower girls:





grampa and his signature baby hold.
aloria and her signature cuteness.




the only picture i got of we two - 
my beloved sister-bride and me.


and then
in a flash
they were off.


just like that.


i wish you well my precious brother and sis!
...and love you so.

************************************************

So now you know why I have been absent.
There was 42 hours of driving for being there 2 days.
Then there has been the let-down physically and emotionally as I've been
debriefing this week.

There were so many precious moments.
Emma was the most relaxed bride I've ever seen and had truly
accomplished the goal of planning beyond her wedding
as she looked towards a life together with Shane.

I was truly honored to be by her side as she gracefully flitted from one task
to the next in the hours prior.
Amazingly, she did make time to sit with my girls.
And having lunch with her is a memory I'll always cherish.

I look forward to knowing this couple in the years to come.


 It was a lovely weekend.


***

8 comments:

LindaFaye said...

Reminds me a lot of your wedding. :) Seems you have quite the family heritage going.

RavenM said...

Lovely pictures and thoughts. Thank you for sharing :)

Hopes Handcrafts said...

What a beautiful wedding..thank you for sharing it with us. I love the bride's dress and the flower-girls are all oh-so-cute!

Kimberly Bryant said...

It never gets old looking at wedding pictures! What wonderful pictures and what a beautiful bride! Thanks for stopping by on your way, just wasn't long enough:)! Also, thank you for your gift! Love, Kimberly

Brenda said...

What a beautiful post. Your family is so wonderful. May I ask, is there a meaning in the feet washing? Just curious. I love the bare feet. When John and I married, I too was barefoot. I don't know why, just felt right. My heart smiles with you as such sweet memories were made.
Your friend,
Brenda

Momma Bug said...

Mmm.... yes. Memories of 14 years ago, and new memories in the making.

Brenda, the washing of the feet..

Jesus is the Bridegroom of the Church (we who are saved by His death and resurrection.
Before He was crucified, he chose to wash his disciples feet (an act reserved for the lowest servant in the house) setting an example for us of what love is:
putting ones self aside to serve another.
In washing the feet of our beloved, we remind ourselves that love is a decision to serve.
A good thing to remember in marriage certainly!

Brenda said...

That is beautiful. I have never heard it put that way. Once again you amaze me and open my eyes.
Thank you.....

PUPPPsMom said...

LOVED seeing Emma's day through your camera lens! Thank you for sharing! She looked just as a bride should. So sweet, peaceful, excited! Wish we could have been there! Excited to see you all soon!