Sunday, October 9, 2011

A bit like Heaven



























































We have lovely lovely golds here in North Idaho, but these last couple days I'm reminiscing about our
Fall Color trip to New England last year. 
The East coast trees really know how to wear their reds and oranges!  Wow.

I imagined a garland of leaves for our west-facing windows, and so yesterday my 4 big ones painted bright
splashes of color onto plain white cardstock; we let it dry, drew leaf patterns on them, and cut out our OWN
fall foliage!  I punched two holes at the top of every leaf which provided a perfect job for me and
(almost-4-year-old) Carolina: stringing our leaves.

For the first 4 steps I recommend reading to the kids while they work.  Right now we're reading our way
through Psalms, Genesis, Caddie Woodlawn, and Cary On Mr. Bowditch. 
Nibble on Pumpkin Bread  between pages.
For step 5, I suggest stringing leaves in the late morning, (sit in a sunny window if you can), and add a dollop
 of last nights homemade caramel (which is a good story - remind me later) to your coffee and cream.

I'm now wondering what other things I could string with an almost-4-year-old since I had so much FUN and chuckles doing that with her this morning!



























































This guy was his own brand of help, bringing me my full (and hot) cup of coffee  
"ACH!  Thanks Buddy DON'T TOUCH THAT WITHOUT ASKING MOMMA!!!"
and bringing me my camera 
"ACH!  Thanks Buddy DON'T TOUCH THAT WITHOUT ASKING MOMMA!!!"
and trying to crimp our toes with that new tool of his.  His help certainly kept us from getting bored!

While we strung leaves and tried to hide our toes from harm, my four big ones moved, split, and stacked.
(When did their legs get so long?!)





















































































































My smiley charmer did her part today in keeping the mood light.
My friend has referred to her hair as Chocolate and Vanilla.  It kind of is, isn't it?


































So we made caramel last night (remember I said I'd tell you?).
Zachary and Olivia measured, poured, and stirred together the ingredients, and when beginning to stir,
my son asked what temperature we were aiming for.  I told him.  He then asked me how he would know
what the temperature was.  I came in and took the candy thermometer from him, began to explain about
the mercury, bent down to examine it closely.  My voice trailed off as I squinted at the thermometer.
I didn't see the mercury.
I couldn't find the mercury.
There was no mercury.
Not good.

Zack didn't remember if the glass bulb was already broken before he put it into the candy, and no one
remembered it being broke during one of our evening dish washing session frequently fraught with
(but not limited to) incessant chatter, hootin' and hollering, giggling, bickering (at times), bad jokes,
 high volume, guffaws, and other various clanks and clatter.
It would be hard to notice if something - ANYthing - broke during such bedlam.

Zack and I quickly came to the conclusion that we'd rather not eat caramel laced with mercury,
so......
we-made-another-batch which-turnedout-awesome-with-GrannySmithapples-(and-in-coffee-too)-and
had-it-again tonight only-not-with-coffeebecause-I-still-have-plentyofcaffeine-left-overfromthismorning
but there's still enough (caramel) left-for-tomorrow thankfuly-thisstoryhas-a-happyending
because.no.one.died. The-End.


Pumpkin carving today.  Only two pumpkins - even with 6 kiddos.  It was a very. smart. plan.


























I was trying to decide which part they could do, what with all the knives and carving, and knives and
boys, and sharp things and knives and knives.  And did I mention boys with knives?


























My 8 and 10-year-old boys are good boys and very responsible with knives, but pumpkins are big round
awkward-to-hold thick skinned squashes that aren't very forgiving if your finger or knee is in the way when
your knife slips.
I cut the lid.
They all (but mostly the girls) scooped out pumpkin guts.

Bryce watched.
Mostly.

 
Olivia sparkled.


























Lina stuck her hand into the Great Unknown.


































Zack looked scary.


























Sue clowned around.


































WHAAAAT?  Clay, dont' make that face at PUMPKIN guts!  
Coming from a guy who ate a grasshopper... I hardly think it's called for!

































































































And this man...always plotting his next big move.  Hmm.... what's next.....

It's true.  I compromised.
I let the fellas use chisels and screwdrivers and other pointy object 
to carve our pumpkins.  They were careful and took their time and the gourds turned out[
pretty fabulous!



































And that's it.
That was my day... very festive and holiday-ish...
and I'm pretty sure I laughed a couple times, so it was pretty near perfect!

Did you laugh this weekend?

3 comments:

Pam... said...

That Sue looks so much like Carly! Too funny. They could for sure be sisters.

I like the bird on your pumpy kins.
They could also string garlands of dried apple slices with cinnamin? Mmmm. Smells so good. Or popcorn for the birds in the trees outside?

Lovely valance you have. It's high enough so you don't have to tell the kids to 'leaf' it alone. Ha! Hope it doesn't 'fall' down.

My weekend? I saw cousins and 2nd cousins for the first time since I was about ten (funeral). It was really interesting talking to them all, mostly for the first time. It was fun seeing the shock in their faces when I mentioned how many children I have, and that I LOVE my life, and that my hubby is still my knight in shining armor. Rare words in this world today, I guess. They are such awesome people. All needing Christ.

Momma Bug said...

I can see that. Pretty fun!

We're definitely going to try stringing apples. Good idea.

You are a piece of Christ's life and light - I'm sure it was quite wonderful to behold! What a precious testimony you have to offer.

Hugs~

Photo Momma said...

I just tried a leaf project similar to yours but yours turned out much better! We found leaves on our morning walk and then traced them and added color before cutting them out. It was hard to see the lines to cut though through all that paint. I love seeing all your family pictures! You guys are amazing...