Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Scrumptious!

I must be pregnant because I find myself craving those things I eat only once in a blue moon.
Things such as... Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread! I tasted my first bite at Great Harvest Bread co. but at seven dollars a loaf, I thought I might find a recipe that would satisfy my taste buds for less.
I was right.
So if you like a very moist chocolaty bread (more of a cake really - though I think "bread" sounds much healthier, and you know? It does have squash in it. And eggs... I think it might just BE healthy!), than you had better get out your mixer and bread tins.












CHOCOLATE CHIP PUMPKIN BREAD

  • 3 cups white sugar
  • 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 4 eggs
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon }I omitted the cinnamon and nutmeg
  • 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips }I used two or possibly three times as much, and regular size chocolate chips.
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional) }I omitted the nuts too.
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 1 pound size coffee cans, or three 9x5 inch loaf pans.
  2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, pumpkin, oil, water, and eggs. Beat until smooth. Blend in flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts. Fill cans 1/2 to 3/4 full.
  3. Bake for 1 hour, or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Cool on wire racks before removing from cans or pans.

Yummmmmm!!!!!!!!! We nibbled away at ours mercilessly until the picture you see is all that was left to photograph:-)
I thought this recipe was equal to the Great Harvest bread I love. It was very moist. Omitting the spices kept it from having a "seasonal" taste, but if you love cinnamon and nutmeg, by all means throw them in!
(Don't forget the extra chocolate though - if a little is good then a LOT is even better!) ;-P

10 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh yes, our family *loves* Choco Chip Punkin bread. Great Harvest is yummy, but too spendy. So we make our own too.

Diane said...

Thanks for the recipe! I am going to have to make some. And you make it just the way I would like too. Delete the spices and add more chocloate! YEAH.

Love you.

Courtney said...

YUM WE will have to try this today :) Thank you for the recipe. Missing you

J said...

Yikes! 3 CUPS WHITE sugar??? That is enough to kill us all! ;) I will definitely try this, but with some sugar and flour modifications. :) Yum!! Thank you for sharing! LOVE YOU!

Courtney said...

OH THAT WAS SO YUMMY! :) Thank you for inspiring me to bake. We are now enjoying the fruits of our labor. Great recipe! Love ya

Momma Bug said...

Way to go Courtney!

JENNY!!! I TOLD you... it has SQUASH and EGGS.
IGNORE the sugar part! At least add enough chocolate to make up for the lack;-P

Diane said...

I bought pumpkin tonight so I could make it. I need squash still though...I fogot about that! I will be making it soon!

Momma Bug said...

The pumpkin IS the squash silly!
:-)

Kristen said...

I am making this today, however, I will not post it on my blog in fear that I will receive critism like you did :) I shall enjoy mine with my children privately!

Anonymous said...

I make Pumpkin Bread, but I don't make Pumpkin Bread with Chocolate Chips! Mine is with dates and pecans, but I will gladly make this! By the way, I am going to "follow" you. I think your blog is lovely.