Thursday, October 1, 2009

Secrets Of Success

It doesn't get any better than this:
  • Lounging on the couch;
  • My fuzzy pajamas from Mrs. Smith;
  • Waiting for my dinner to be delivered;
  • Holding the worlds sweetest baby (since the last one I had);
  • And on top of all that, he says he "loves" his momma! See? Just look at his t-shirt!
My son has good taste in clothing :-)







































And lest you think I can only think new-baby-boy thoughts, I will let you in on a little secret I learned in this last week:

  • If I put aside my own personal aspirations for great creative outlet, and am willing to be content doing so, I can be truly available for my children.


I have known for a while that in this baby-raisin' season of my life, I really need to be content to shelve my own creative ventures.
I am not suggesting that I will put my pencil, scrapbook, or sewing machine in the closet for the next however-many-years ahead (not sure I could follow through with that if I wanted to!).

If my heart and mind are not fully engaged in being a mother; in training; in laughing; in sharing; in teaching; in ENJOYING my precious children every minute...
I find myself always looking to check my "duties" off my list so I can get to my OWN projects.

When that happens I don't do either one well, and am often hurrying my children in things that need my time and patience.

This last week I have accomplished more with my children than usual - even while sitting on the couch.

For starters, I decided to focus only on Math and Reading this Winter, which requires little more than reading, reading, reading; listening to my boys read, read, read; and then fielding questions as they work through their Math workbooks.
I can do all those things from the comfort of the living room couch while I hold or nurse baby.

I must have resolved to BE on that couch, because there I was, available to read instructions, to answer questions, to cuddle, to read books to the girls.

You know what I found? I wasn't in an all-fired hurry and they enjoyed me!
I can dictate chores from the couch, and oversee follow-through too. The house has remained relatively serene.

I look forward to jumping into some drawing projects before long, and making a couple Christmas stockings for a couple little Bugs, but I sure am enjoying this new found "thing that works for me" and I believe it is worth continuing to perfect.

So that's my little secret: Shelving my own agenda, and relaxing to be available for the children.
It seems to work!

5 comments:

Jess said...

Wise words and a beautiful baby!

Grace McHugh said...

Thank you for reminding me of what is most important. :)

RavenM said...

So, so, so, so, so true!!!!!!!! Thank you Analene for the beautiful reminder:) I find the exact same thing, when i am rushing my children through whatever they need me for so I can get to "MY" stuff, nobody is happy and nothing gets done well. The lack of peace is sure not worth it!

PUPPPsMom said...

Oh goodness!! We just got to the internet, and I was SO looking forward to seeing baby Bryce. And I was not disappointed! He's just perfect! Congratulations, Analene & AJ! (and children!) What a great family addition. :)

J said...

It's hard sometimes to do that. Some days it comes easy and other days I have to really discipline myself to put everything aside--even my thoughts so that my attentions are completely on them. Not b/c I don't want to, but b/c we women are multitaskers, always planning, thinking of what needs to be done and maybe even trying to sneak in one of our own projects. But what blessings we do see when our whole selves are turned towards our little ones. You are so right!
Bryce looks so much like a member of your family. I haven't seen your other babies so little but he is surely related! Great pics, photographing a newborn is so hard, you have done a great job!
Love to you,
J