Sunday, March 23, 2008

A New Adventure!

I've decided to take Mama Kenz's Homekeeper 2008 Challenge!
This is a big deal for me; I don't usually get involved in these kinds of things (usually in all my two months of blogging - Ha!), but I really think this fits with what I'm already doing, it's a good motivator for me to reflect on things I am learning in my home-making journey,
AND... I can do it on any day of the week I want to!!!

So Thanks Mama Kenz! And here goes...

This is my long overdue "oatmeal" post!
I have struggled for some time with what to serve my children for breakfasts.
I have this overwhelming compunction about mak
ing them eat the same thing every day, but I also don't want to turn breakfast into another meal that involves a lot of planning and preparation.

I have worked out many ideas, and this is what I am finally settling into:

Hot cereal is a whole grain in it's natural state without preservatives, refined sugar, or dyes.
I myself have never liked oatmeal (please don't tell my children that!). My Grampa called them "Opie Nuts", and my Grama said "they'll stick to your ribs". I don't know where "Opie Nuts" came from, but it's true that they stick to your ribs!
I will eat them now-a-days, but I can only consume about a quarter cup cooked.
My children, on the other hand, have come to eat oatmeal lik
e there's no tomorrow, and I think that's great!
Among it's other virtues, oatmeal is inexpensive, so it fills many tummy's for little cost, and even less if you buy it bulk.
Here's our favorite ways to fix it:

We like ours a little nutty, and not so soupy.
Bring your water to a boil,
then add enough oats to fill the water - in other words, so they're not floating on top.
After you add the oats, turn off burner, and cover pot.
Oatmeal should be ready to eat in about ten minutes.

W like to top our oatmeal with a little maple syrup, sucanat, or honey, then add any other combination of things:
Nuts
Raisins
Diced Banana
Blueberries
Dates
Shredded Coconut
Currants

Occasionally we peel and dice an apple to add to the boiling water along with some cinnamon.
If you want to get crazy, many other gr
ains (such as bulgar, or millet) are fun to try for some variety!














With Sucanat (dried cane sugar), Pecans, and Raisins















With Pure Maple Syrup, and chopped Dates
















With Coconut, and Currants













With Banana, and Blueberries

(My children thought I'd had it when I began taking pictures of food!!)
We happily fix oatmeal about four times a week (Fridays being eggs, of course:-), and recently I was inspired by a friend who has trained her children to eat (and enjoy) their oatmeal with nothing on it but milk. Hmmm... more food for thought!


7 comments:

SarahJane said...

so, you inspired me to do oatmeal this morning. I am not good at doing breakfast period...I am not a big eater in the morning, and I need to be better so that all of us get a good breakfast. I am with you on not being a big fan of oatmeal myself. Good ideas for oatmeal toppings! We do blueberries and raisins alot in oatmeal, but tried the coconut today.

Momma Bug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Momma Bug said...

Cool! I'm glad you were inspired! I'm with you on not being a big morning eater.
A good health food store can get some good topping ideas rolling, plus you'll have an easier time finding fruits that aren't sugared and sulfured.
The coconut we like is unsweetened - it has a nice nutty flavor.
I bet there are lots of cool health food stores in the Portland area!
Tell me what you find:-)

March 24, 2008 8:40 AM

Chic Mama said...

I am so glad to see you join the Challenge! I look forward to stopping back by often and seeing where it takes you!

By the way- I love the look of your blog- VERY cute! See you soon around the Challenge!

2homeschool said...

Thank you for your letters lene. I am sick, really sick. I would love to read anything you send me. Love you. H

Photo Momma said...

Beautiful photos :) I had not eaten oatmeal in many years, since my childhood actually. Right after the birth of my son I started craving oatmeal though and now I eat it several times a week! My eating habits are not nearly as healthy as yours though... I eat my oatmeal with cinnamon, raisins, and brown sugar sprinkled generously over the top.

Suzanne said...

What beautiful photos- You could take pictures for a cooking magazine! The blueberries and bananas one looks particularly yummy. Thanks for taking the time to show us.
Blessings,
Suzanne