Every Mom has her "can't-leave-the-house-without-it" baby item.Some cherish their their carriers, nursing cover-ups, diaper bags, some their baby's pacifier.
My all-time favorite baby item is a flannel receiving blanket.
Several babies ago, my mother-in-love offered to make me some new ones, and I requested she make them bigger than the usual size.
What resulted have been my most treasured "can't-leave-the-house-without-them" baby items!
She cut flannel fabric (preferably shirting flannel - it's stretchier) one yard square, and finished the edges by crocheting with colored thread around the outside.
(Carolina demonstrating the virtues of said blanket)
My favorite uses for this 3 x 3 foot square piece of fabric are as follows:
* Swaddling blanket. This thing is the perfect size for getting a good swaddle with no feet sticking out:-)
* Nursing cover. I've got it with me anyways, and the flannel sticks to your clothing. I believe my sister-in-law is now a fan of these blankets too!
* Infant car seat cover. For when your baby falls asleep and you want something light weight over them to keep off bugs etc.
* High chair and shopping cart seat-buckle. This thing works great to tie your baby into a restaurant high chair. I use mine all the time for shopping carts as well.
* Changing "pad". While not padded, you have something clean to lay the baby on for changing a diaper.
When leaving the house I always check for diapers, wipes, and receiving blanket - in about that order. As you can see, ours is familiar enough that Carolina decided to adopt it for personal use:-) We have two made out of the shirting flannel, and though different colors, she isn't picky! Either one will do - just don't try to substitute one of the other flannels -I guess there really IS a difference!