Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankfulness is a way of life.

This is a very special picture to me.


























Clayton drew it for me when I was in the hospital 2 years ago.
All my children drew pictures for me, but Clayton worked away at this for hours.
Can you imagine his dedication to detail each and every rain drop like he did?

He presented it to me on Thanksgiving day 2008, just after I had arrived home
and was tucked comfortably into the couch.  I couldn't keep my eyes open because of
the pain medications which made me sleepy, but I listened to all the bustle and activity
with a heart overflowing.

That saga in my life is now a distant blur with only fond memories attached.

This, my life today, is the part of my life I live in.
I have found that almost no matter the circumstances,
a perspective that is viewing moments and seasons through the lens of eternal value
and a heart determined to worship and glorify the Lord,
can choose to be thankful.

There's usually more to be thankful for than what I see
when tragedy or turmoil blindside me;
doldrums or depression cause a dark curtain to cloud my vision;
or the common annoyance inconveniences me.

It may sound cliche, but counting ones' blessings is a good practice.
It will form a habit,
and eventually a way of life.
A thankful way of life and a heart of gratitude in all kinds of circumstances.

Amongst the things I'm thankful for tonight...

That AJ will be home day after tomorrow.
That Carolina will soon complete her potty training.
That I can shower at my brother's until my pipes are thawed.
That I can wash my dishes with hot water
because of frost-free valves in the yard, big pots, a propane stove.
That my composting toilet will be usable in the near future.
That the snow isn't high enough to need to dig a path to the outhouse.
That without so many modern conveniences, I have cell service and Internet (?!)
That wipies are a workable alternative to a real hand washing.
That my children think this the greatest adventure EVER!

They certainly have the right perspective:-)

This is the Psalm which warmed my heart and enriched my meditations today:

Psalm 70:4
"Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: 
and let such as love thy salvation 
say continually,
Let God be magnified."


Indeed.
Let God be magnified!!

2 comments:

RavenM said...

This is the one that is grabbing me today: Psalm 145:10-11 All of your works will thank you, Lord, and your faithful followers will bless you. They will talk together about the glory of your kingdom; they will celebrate examples of your power.

Momma Bug said...

Thank you Sarah, and this is an opportunity to do just that!
So I celebrate our Lord with YOU today :-)
Loving you dear friend.
-me